The event is open to scholars, students and practitioners from all universities, institutes, and organizations.
You can register for this symposium by using this link.
During the coming autumn 2022, the Visual and Digital Cultures Research Center (ViDi), University of Antwerp, will host the first international symposium on The Art and Science of Visual Research (ASVR). This event constitutes the peak of the celebrations for the career of Prof. dr. Luc Pauwels, who will become an emeritus in October 2022.
Bringing together some of the most outstanding scholars in the field of visual studies and visual research, the symposium builds upon an integration of emerging and iconic voices of practitioners, methodologists, and theoreticians alike, all united around a common interest: the visual.
We will bring different disciplinary traditions and practices into dialogue: visual and digital culture, visual sociology and visual anthropology, science and technology studies, documentary photography, ethnographic film, and artificial intelligence. This is a unique opportunity for taking stock at what goes on in the world of visual research.
- Richard Chalfen (Temple University, USA)
- Marina Ciampi (Università Sapienza, Rome, IT)
- Rebekah Cupitt (Birkbeck University, UK)
- Paolo Favero (University of Antwerp, BE)
- Annalisa Frisina (Università di Padova, IT)
- John Grady (Wheaton College, USA)
- Paul Hockings (editor Visual Anthropology, USA)
- Allison Jablonko (co-founder Society for Visual Anthropology, AAA, USA)
- Asko Lehmuskallio (University of Tampere, FI)
- Tito Marci (Università Sapienza, Rome, IT)
- Scott McQuire (Melbourne University, AUS)
- Luc Pauwels (University of Antwerp)
- Mattijs van de Port (University of Amsterdam, NL)
- Katrien Pype (KU Leuven, BE)
- Jon Wagner (University of California, USA)
Start of programme Wednesday Oct 12th, 9:30 AM
End of programme Friday Oct 14th,12:30 PM
The 3-day symposium will be preceded by a keynote by Prof. Paul Hockings (editor-in-chief of Visual Anthropology) on Tuesday 11 October 2022. Separate registration is required, please register here: https://bit.ly/HockingsFSW