CINEIMPACT – International Film Winter Academy
4 – 13 January 2020, Heraklion, Crete
Cinema Journey, Creative Documentary, Visual Anthropology, Social Adventure
8 Days of Tailor Made Film Making
2 Film Production Sections
Details of the Academy Content can be found here
Details of the Academy Application can be found here
Between 4 to 13 January, you can warmly embrace 2020, grasping the chance to feed your creative adrenaline within CINEIMPACT Winter Film Academy, an international program that empowers Art and Social Cinema, through an innovative mix of Creative Documentaries, Docu-Fiction Storytelling, Visual Anthropology & Social Adventure
The program takes place in Heraklion – the ravishing, inspiring and contrasting capital of Crete. Bridging the west and the east, the past and present, Heraklion’s realms enjoy multicultural flamboyance and social peculiarities, uncovering their hidden nature in the every day life of the winter, while waiting to be cinematically discovered and explored.
The candidates should have experience in one or more of the following fields:
- film directing, cinematography, editing, videography, visual anthropology, visual arts, visual activism, film/video/visual communication production
The applicants to the winter academy can choose from the following Film Production Sections:
1. New Project Development
- the participants will experience the entire process of film making by developing a new film project from A to Z while going through the fundamentals of anthropological field work, pre-production, production and post-production phases, concluding with a brief final touch on project pitching, fine tuning and distribution
2. Work-in-Progress Project Incubator
- the participants will receive advice and development mentorship on one of their work-in-progress projects, being a non-fiction or a docu-fiction project, challenged by the hardships of the pre-production, production or post-production phases, including the optimizing of project’s pitching, fine tuning or distribution strategy
The participants will be selected based on motivation, experience and creative personalities. Those selected in the 8 days of CINEIMPACT adventure will explore innovative methods of CINEMA and IMPACT production, transgressing the boundaries of fiction, non-fiction, visual anthropology or social activism.
Through a tailored-made and hands-on filmmaking program, participants will be guided in this cognitive-creative journey by the following confirmed tutors:
- Ionuţ Piţurescu – film director and producer; Dr. in Sociology and Visual Anthropology, coordinator of the Center for Innovation, Development and Film. Among his films, “Quest” (Romania, 32 min) premiered in Cannes IFF, winning Quinzaine des Realisateurs Award at 63rd Cannes Film Festival, while his feature “Borders” (Romania, Denmark, Burma) was chosen among best world projects in the official selection of Cinefondation Atelier at 68th Cannes Film Festival
- Sorin Gociu – cinematographer, photographer and producer. The documentary “Don’t get me wrong” filmed by Sorin Gociu and directed by Adina Pintilie (recently winning the Golden Bear at IFF Berlin), has been selected to participate in over 50 international festivals, including Locarno International Film Festival, winning the Golden Dove Award at Leipzig International Film Festival, etc
- Alina Matache – film producer and story-editor, with 15+ years of experience in Corporate Program Management. Alina produced 18 films within Cineimpact International Film Academy, working with students from 20+ countries. Several of the films produced by Alina have been selected in important film events and festivals such as LisbonDocs Film Forum, East Silver, Astra Film Festival, etc.
During the field research, development, production and post-production of the films, the participants will be inspired by support courses held by invited experts. The film’s authors will be tutored in building optimal development strategies for their new and/or work-in-progress film projects.
One of the films developed within CINEIMPACT Film Academies, “Pattern or Not”, the creative work of Dorottya Balczo (director and cinematographer) and Andra Nedelcu (director and visual artist), was successfully selected and propelled to participate in one of the sections dedicated to short film (SFC) at Cannes Film Festival 2016. Other projects have been selected in various film festivals and were developed into successful feature length projects such as “Mother and Son” by David Power (director and videographer) selected in prestigious forums such Lisbon Docs 2018.
Through an unparalleled method, innovatively developed and internationally acclaimed since 2010, in its 5th year of challenging conventional filmmaking prescriptions, CINEIMPACT Film Academy has proven to be a revealing learning experience for filmmakers from diverse backgrounds, cultures and countries from all around the globe, such as Sweden, United States, Spain, China, Italy, England, Brazil, Germany, Greece, Ghana, Slovakia, Netherlands, Hungary, Romania, Turkey, Croatia, Hong Kong, Switzerland, etc.
Thank you for not forgetting to share the information with your social media and real life friends.
Good times mixed with cool vibes and one hot winter are included in the program!