CINEIMPACT – International Film Summer Academy
Art Cinema, Creative Documentary, Visual Anthropology, Social Adventure
August – September 2021, Baile Herculane, Romania
16 days of Practice Based Learning and Tailor Made Film Making
2 Filmcelerator Production Sections
Details of the Summer Academy Content can be found here
Details of the Summer Academy Application can be found here
The dawn of a new world takes shape in the recent global circumstances. Crisis reveals the potentials of humanity as an individual and collective body. Our shared Health, Environment and Society call for new tools of social understanding and action. The combined powers of Independent Film and Social Sciences offer most needed mirrors to our emerging realities. So when responsible mobility and collective safety ask for refreshed transdisciplinary visions and expertise, here is what you can do:
Between 26th of August – 12th of September 2021, you have the chance to feed your creative adrenaline within CINEIMPACT Film Academy, an international program dedicated to Art and Social Cinema taking the transdisciplinary form of Non-Fiction Cinematography, Docu-Fiction Storytelling, Visual Anthropology and Social Impact.
The program takes place in Romania’s Baile Herculane – a famous Transylvanian town, recently declared among Best East European Wellness Locations for its fabulous heritage and socio-cultural complexity. The little Spa Capital encompassed by the high peaks of the Carpathian Mountains connects the Roman Empire Heritage, the Habsburgic Empire Heritage and the Romanian Pre-Communist, Communist and Post-Communist Heritage. Baile Herculane area greatly inspires the film project development, magically interweaving the experiences of past and present: monumental architecture of forgone empires veiled in flamboyant decadence and poetry; old-fashioned rurality embraced by the astonishing nature of the Carpathian Mountains and Cerna Gorges; communist wellness infrastructure overwhelmed by post-communist apocalypse and tackled by challenging social regeneration. Infinite intersections in between utopian beauty and dystopian decay succeed to create a quite focal and cinematic environment for a synthesis of our present and future society.
The candidates should have experience in one or more of the following fields:
- film directing, cinematography, editing, videography, visual anthropology, visual arts, visual activism, film/video/visual communication and production
The applicants for the spring academy can choose from the following Film Production Sections:
1. New Project Development
- the participants will experience the entire process of film making by developing a new film project from A to Z while going through the fundamentals of anthropological field work, pre-production, production and post-production phases, concluding with a brief final touch on project pitching, fine tuning and distribution
2. Work-in-Progress Incubator
- the participants will receive advice and development mentorship on one of their work-in-progress projects, being a non-fiction or a docu-fiction project, challenged by the hardships of script development, pre-production, production or post-production phases, integrating the optimization of project’s package, pitching, rough-cut, fine tuning or distribution strategy
Through a tailored-made and hands-on filmmaking program, the summer academy will explore innovative methods of CINEMA, SOUND and IMPACT production.
Students will have the chance to discover themselves in an environment that challenges their most personal creative limits. From learning to recognize exquisite stories after only few hours of interaction with the characters, to exercising decision making techniques under time pressure, from learning new editing secrets to creating best fit sound design, the academy will leave the participants amazed by how much and how better they can do, in such a short time span, along making new friends, exploring the unknown and having loads of fun.
The participants will be selected based on motivation, experience and creative personalities. Those selected for the 16 days of CINEIMPACT adventure will explore innovative methods of CINEMA and IMPACT production, transgressing the boundaries of fiction, non-fiction, visual anthropology or social activism.
Through a tailored-made and hands-on filmmaking program, participants will be guided in this cognitive-creative journey by the following confirmed tutors:
- Ionuţ Piţurescu – director, scriptwriter and producer; Dr. in Sociology and Visual Anthropology, coordinator of the Center for Innovation, Development and Film. Among his cinema work, “Quest” (Romania, 32 min) premiered in Cannes IFF, winning Quinzaine des Realisateurs Award at 63rd Cannes Film Festival, while his feature “Borders” (Romania, Denmark, Burma) was chosen among best world projects in the official selection of Cinefondation Atelier at 68th Cannes Film Festival
- Alina Matache – producer, consultant and story-editor, with 15+ years of experience in Corporate Management. Alina produced 18 films within Cineimpact International Film Academy, working with students from 20+ countries. Several of the films produced by Alina have been selected in important film events and festivals such as LisbonDocs Film Forum, East Silver, etc
- Sorin Gociu – cinematographer, photographer and producer. The documentary “Don’t get me wrong” filmed by Sorin Gociu and directed by Adina Pintilie (recently winning the Golden Bear at IFF Berlin), has been selected to participate in over 50 international festivals, including Locarno International Film Festival, IDFA, etc, while winning the Golden Dove Award at Leipzig International Film Festival, Camerimage International Cinematography Film Festival and many others
During the field research, development, production and post-production of the films, the participants will be inspired by support courses held by invited experts. The film’s authors will be tutored in building optimal development strategies for their new and work-in-progress film projects. One of the films developed within CINEIMPACT Film Academies, “Pattern or Not”, the creative work of Dorottya Balczo (director and cinematographer) and Andra Nedelcu (director and visual artist), was successfully selected and propelled to participate in one of the sections dedicated to short film (SFC) at Cannes Film Festival 2016. Other projects have been selected in various film festivals and were developed by Cineimpact into successful feature length projects such as “Mother and Son” by David Power (director and videographer, edition 2017) selected in prestigious forums and markets such as Lisbon Docs 2018, East Silver 2019, etc
Through an unparalleled method, innovatively developed and internationally acclaimed since 2010, in its 7th year of challenging conventional filmmaking prescriptions, CINEIMPACT Film Academy has proven to be a revealing learning experience for filmmakers from various backgrounds, cultures and countries from all around the globe, such as Sweden, United States, Spain, China, Italy, England, Brazil, Germany, Greece, Ghana, Slovakia, Netherlands, Hungary, Romania, Turkey, Croatia, Hong Kong, Switzerland, etc.
Thank you for not forgetting to share the information with your social media and real life friends.
Good times mixed with optimal creativity are included in the program!
Ever dreamed to learn how to use your personal equipment at its best storytelling potential?
Would you like to discover how to expand your creative skills simultaneously with your soft skills? Cineimpact offers a toolbox that guides you into the deeper understanding of cinematic storytelling along revealing your own personal powers to impact the world. Now is your chance to develop your Filmmaking vision through a mentorship program that supports you in taking better decisions in your projects, just as in your life. Not to mention that you can have a lot of fun creating a film to take home, at the end of this unique journey
are announced in advance or take place on request.
Don’t be shy and write to us at
in order to let us know how we can help or to receive the latest info through
Cineimpact Academy Newsletter
comprising our future events and the latest innovations in
Filmmaking, Anthropology, Cross-Media or Docu-Fiction Storytelling
Here you can navigate few Lovely Memories of the previous years’ editions:
Cinema and Humanity
researching, mentoring, igniting
METHODS, TOOLBOXES & LEARNING EXPERIENCES
Film and Social Sciences, New Media and Technology, Visual Journalism and Visual Arts
collaborate in optimized ways
to Understand and Impact the Society We Live In